The 19th Tampere Guitar Festival will welcome an international and diverse selection of concerts to Tampere. Many of the artists will be performing for the first time in Finland. Concerts and free events will be held from 7-10 June in Tampere and the neighbouring cities Nokia and Pirkkala.
One of the festival’s headliners, Raphaella Smits from Belgium, plays Latin American music from her new album Che Argentina. Smits is an internationally recognised virtuoso of the eight-string guitar. The performance of the Croatian guitarist Petrit Çeku consists of all of Johann Sebastian Bach’s Cello Suites, which is both a musically and physically challenging task. Spanish guitarist Isabel Martinez performs Spanish guitar music, while Cristina Galietto brings regards from Italy.
In addition to solo guitar, the festival will feature ensembles: cembalist Assi Karttunen and guitarist Rody van Gemert will play an interesting program themed around Mediterranean history and mythology featuring both solo and duo pieces. Olli Soikkeli Trio brings a toe-tapping gypsy swing sound to the festival. Jukka Iisakkila & Grand Flexible Band will perform Iisakkila’s new compositions.
– Wed 7.6. Isabel Martínez (ESP)
– Wed 7.6. Cristina Galietto (ITA)
– Thu 8.6. Isabel Martínez (ESP)
– Thu 8.6. Assi Karttunen & Rody van Gemert (FIN)
– Fri 9.6. Raphaella Smits (BEL)
– Fri 9.6. Olli Soikkeli Trio (FIN)
– Sat 10.6. Petrit Çeku (CRO)
– Sat 10.6. Jukka Iisakkila & Grand Flexible Band (FIN)