The Kaleva parish was established in 1953, but it had to wait for a church of its own for as long as 13 years. The church, designed by architects Reima and Raili Pietilä, was inaugurated in 1966. The characteristic traits of the Kaleva church include space, light, arch pillars, vertical orientation (cf. old cathedrals), the colour of unbleached linen, wooden surfaces, unobstructed views, and the lack of right angles. The facade of the organ assembly and the interior decoration of the church hall were also designed by Pietilä.