Artist Emil Danielsson (1882-1967) was born on 7.August 1882 in Tula, Russia. In 1886 Danielsson’s family moved to Turku, where Emil attended a Swedish-speaking classical middle school.
Emil Danielsson began his art studies aged 16 at the Finnish Art Society drawing school in Turku. In 1903 artist Danielsson came to spend the summer at Heinoo in Karkku. Between 1904 and 1905 Emil Danielsson studied in Florence, Italy.
Danielsson’s works have been exhibited publicly since 1901. His works have been exhibited abroad in Stockholm, Oslo, Antwerp and Amsterdam. He has also held his own exhibitions around his home regions and at the Stone Castle on Pirunvuori.
In 1906 Emil Danielsson had the Pirunvuori atelier castle built, using natural stones. Emil Danielsson and his wife Aurora always came to Pirunvuori for the summers. In the 1930s, they bought the Rokka house on the south-east slope of Pirunvuori. The last summer that Emil Danielsson spent at Pirunvuori was the summer of 1966. He died in Helsinki on 16.7.1967.
The Danielssons left the Stone Castle to the Tyrvää Region Local Association in their will, and the Association became the castle’s owner in 1975. In a gift deed dated 14.2.1990, the Local Association donated the Stone Castle to the Town of Vammala.
The renovation of the Stone Castle began in the autumn of 1997, during which the inside wall surfaces, floors and the shingle roof were renewed. The work was compeleted in September 1998. In 2018, the city of Sastamala renovated the main roof of the Stone Castle.
Arriving to the Stone Castle
The address of the parking lot is Ellivuorentie 131, Sastamala. The parking lot is shared with hotel Ellivuori. A path of about one kilometer to the Stone Castle leaves from the parking lot. Please do not drive along the path. The Stone Castle is not wheelchair accessible.
The Stone castle is open to the public in summer and there are changing art exhibitions.