Tampere is my hometown and I love it. I’ve travelled a lot and also worked as a travel guide, but Tampere always has a special place in my heart. Whenever I return from abroad, I head to Pyynikki nature reserve or by the lakes to charge my batteries and enjoy the fresh air and views.
I think Tampere is just the right size. You can walk everywhere in the city center, and if you want to go further it’s also quick for example with a cycle or a tram. There is also something to do here for every season of the year and that is a big part of the city’s charm.
These are my top 5 places in Tampere
- The trails of Pyynikki nature reserve. Pyynikki is so beautiful in all seasons, spring, summer, autumn and winter. I always take my guests here. Sometimes we might end up to the observation tower for their famous doughnuts.
- Eliander swimming beach. The beach is cozy and located in a peaceful place. I love sitting on the rocks and enjoying the scenery. In the summertime I bring my swimsuit and towel and head for a swim. The beach is also great for a picnic.
- Japanese restaurant Natsu in the Market Hall. Natsu is currently my favorite restaurant. Their Japanese delicacies are the best! I usually order Teryaki salmon. The old Market Hall itself is also an attraction!
- Tallipihan Suklaapuoti chocolate shop. This is a must-see place while visiting Tampere. It’s located in Stable Yards, one of the most charming old milieus in Tampere. The chocolate shop has a wide selection of different chocolate treats but they also sell other sweets. There’s definitely something for all tastes.
- Laukontori marketplace in summertime. Laukontori is full of life in the summer. I often head there for lunch or a good cup of coffee. Sitting in the sunny marketplace and enjoying the atmosphere is one of my favorite things to do. From Laukontori you can also hop on a boat and head to Viikinsaari island, the beautiful summer oasis of Tampere.